Ailing actress Zsa Zsa Gabor is undergoing surgery to amputate half of her right leg after a serious gangrene infection spread to her bone.
Gabor was admitted to Los Angeles' UCLA Ronald Reagan Medical Center on 2 January (11) after medics told the star's husband, Prince Frederic von Anhalt, that immediate action was required to treat the infection.
They prescribed the 93-year-old TV star a course of strong antibiotics as an alternative to severing the limb, but the medicine was ineffective and von Anhalt gave doctors permission to go ahead with the operation last week (06Jan11).
Surgeons tried to hold off the amputation by attempting to remove a blood clot from Gabor's leg as a last-ditch attempt, but the gangrene has now penetrated the bone, leaving medics with no other choice.
The actress' spokesman, John Blanchette, reveals the amputation had been scheduled for Friday (14Jan11) and von Anhalt had been warned Gabor only stood a "50-50" chance of survival.
He says, "They (doctors) said it was very dangerous, but they had no other option. It (infection) would kill her otherwise."
As WENN went to press, there were no other updates on Gabor's condition.