Hacker group Guardians of Peace infiltrated the databases of Sony Pictures Entertainment and leaked confidential material in an effort to get Seth's political comedy, which features two American journalists hired to assassinate North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un, pulled from release in 2014.

The premiere and wide cinema release were eventually cancelled after the group threatened to attack them, and Seth was given security out of fears he would be targeted over the controversy. But the 34-year-old admits he remained scared when the guards were let go after the uproar died down.

“It was a horrible experience," he told U.K. TV host Graham Norton. "It was bizarre to have personal security. And on the day my bodyguard disappeared, I thought, ‘This is it, this is when I die,’ but actually it turned out that the studio just didn’t want to pay for it anymore! It was a very weird experience.”

His co-star James Franco revealed to Variety.com last year (15) that although he never felt like he was a target, the stress of the controversy made him ill because they was nothing he could do about the situation.

"It was really out of my hands," he said. "As soon as they called the press off, and the movie was pulled from theatres, there was nothing to do. They weren't looking to me to make any decisions. It was just sitting around and staying quiet.

"That said, there was this pressure. There was so much attention on it - attention on a level you never expected. It was a shock to my system, and I got sick. But I was never scared for my safety or anything."

Seth's interview on The Graham Norton Show airs in the U.K. on Friday (29Apr16).