Radiohead have announced that the free download available for their new album In Rainbows will only be accessible for one more week.

The Oxford-based band had made music industry history with their seventh album by releasing it as a download and allowing fans to pay whatever price they wished for the record.

In Rainbows was released without a record label on October 10th, but Radiohead recently signed a contract with XL Recordings for the physical release of the album in December.

And in a posting on their Dead Air Space blog yesterday, the band have confirmed the download area is to shut on December 10th.

"A big thank you to everyone who came and downloaded The Music," the posting adds. "It's been the most positive thing we've done and we hope you shared the experience with others.

"For those of you who wish to buy In Rainbows in the usual way, it will be available on CD/vinyl and download from traditional outlets from December 31st 2007."

Over 1.2 million logged on to the download site in the 29 days after the album was made available with the majority ordering the album, though a recent study found that over 60 per cent of fans chose to pay nothing at all for the release.

Despite the marketing brilliance of the release campaign just 38 per cent of fans downloading the album parted with their money while the remaining 62 per cent only paid the 45p handling charge, according to internet research group ComScore.


06/12/2007 11:26:08