Prince Philip has been discharged from hospital following his hip surgery last week.

The 96-year-old royal - who is the husband of Queen Elizabeth II - went under the knife on April 4 at King Edward VII Hospital in Central London to replace the joint and, after spending 11 days on bed rest, he's now been allowed to return home.

The Duke of Edinburgh appeared to be in good spirits as he waved at onlookers and journalists outside the hospital before he was driven away in a Land Rover Discovery.

A spokesperson for Buckingham Palace said in a statement: ''His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh left King Edward VII's Hospital at midday today (13.04.18), following a hip replacement operation last week.

''The Duke will continue his recovery at Windsor. His Royal Highness would like to convey his appreciation for the messages of good wishes he has received.''

His release comes just a day after his daughter Princess Anne, 67, said he was on ''good form'' after she paid him a visit at the hospital on Thursday (12.04.18).

Prince Philip was admitted to hospital on April 3 ahead of the planned procedure the following day, having suffered pain in the joint for about a month beforehand.

A spokesperson said at the time: ''His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh was admitted to King Edward VII Hospital in London this afternoon for planned surgery on his hip which will take place tomorrow.''

Philip's surgery came after he was forced to skip the Royal Maundy Service at Leicester Cathedral last month because of his crippling hip pain.

He was named in the order of service, but a palace spokesperson said: ''The order of service was printed some weeks ago when it was hoped the Duke would be able to take part. His Royal Highness has since decided not to attend.''

In May last year, Prince Philip announced his retirement from royal duties and attending events to support his own charities and organisations.

The following month, he was admitted to King Edward VII hospital after suffering an infection from a pre-existing condition.

However, officials tried to downplay the seriousness of the situation, describing it simply as ''a precautionary measure''.