In the multiplayer-focused Battlefield 1942, players are given the power and tools to affect the outcomes of key battles of WWII.
With the ability to control 35 authentic Axis and Allied vehicles from a first person perspective and select from five player classes, they are faced with incredible choices in their plan of action. Among a vast array of available options, players can choose to heroically storm or defend the beaches of Normandy, direct artillery or command a tank at Kursk, pilot a fighter or operate shore battery at Midway, command an aircraft carrier or jeep at Guadalcanal, and take charge of a bomber or an APC in El Alemain - experiencing some of the most dramatic moments of WWII. The game will be available for the PC in summer 2002 for the Xbox video game system from Microsoft in winter 2002.
Battlefield 1942 for the PC will support up to 64 players and give them the ability to fully experience World War II combat. Gamers will also be able to control many weapons available to the Axis and Allies as well as command numerous land vehicles, ships and aircraft. With larger craft such as a bomber, the game will allow players to choose what stations they serve - pilot, gunner, bombardier, etc.
Battlefield 1942 will also feature large and detailed maps that allow players to strategize a variety of battle plans. The fighting in Battlefield 1942 takes place in the most famous and pivotal battles of the Second World War from Europe, Pacific, Eastern Europe and North Africa. Sixteen maps from these four theaters of WWII will be included. The game uses a proprietary engine named the Refractor 2, the most robust 3D rendering engine available and fully fleshes out the action.
Though multiplayer experience will be the focus of Battlefield 1942 for the PC, there will be a mode of unique single player action. These levels feature advanced artificial intelligence with no scripting, meaning players will get a completely different experience each time they play.
1. Control 35 authentic WWII land vehicles, ships and aircraft including tanks, fighters, bombers, jeeps and battleships from first person perspective.
2. Five different character classes - assault, medic, scout, anti-tank, engineer -- with unique strengths and weaknesses.
3. 16 large and highly detailed maps from four WWII theaters that players must utilize to give the game strategic elements.
4. Proprietary Refractor 2 engine raises bar for graphics and 3D rendering.
5. Huge multiplayer component on the PC supporting up to 64 players that requires teamwork and cooperation from each member in order to achieve victory for the Axis or Allies.
6. Operate many hand weapons of war that were available to the Axis and Allies.
7. Unique single player mode features no scripting, providing players a different experience each time they play.