Developer: Big Huge Games Inc.
Format: CD-ROM for the Microsoft Windows® 98, Windows 2000, Windows Millenium Edition (Windows Me) and Windows XP operating systems
ESRB Rating: "T" for Teen
Availability: May 2003
From acclaimed game maker Brian Reynolds, designer of PC game classic "Civilization II," comes "Rise of Nations," a new historical, real-time strategy game. For the first time, gamers will experience the pulse-pounding thrill and speed of real-time gaming combined with the epic scope and depth of turn-based strategy games. The game brings to life 6,000 years of history from the ancient age to the information age - not just in warfare but in city building, trade and diplomacy. Despite the long timeline in the game, "Rise of Nations" is designed with the casual audience in mind, meaning gamers will be able to move through the game quickly.
1. Cross-genre gameplay. Combining the speed of real-time gaming with the epic scope of turn-based strategy games, "Rise of Nations" allows players to have a fast and fun experience with the option to complete a game in less than an hour. The game's epic scope moves through eight historical epochs, tying together the mysteries of ancient philosophy and the wonders of the world.
2. Multiple ways to achieve victory. Players succeed through nonmilitary and quasi-military strategies including espionage, political maneuvering, technology races and population growth. Players can also choose to win through military action.
3. Eighteen highly diverse nations. Players lead one of 18 nations - Aztec, Bantu, British, Chinese, Egyptian, French, German, Greek, Incan, Japanese, Korean, Mayan, Mongol, Nubian, Roman, Russian, Spanish and Turk - each with its own distinctive national powers and special units.
4. Conquer the world. This nonlinear single-player campaign allows gamers to play on a map of the world and take over one territory at a time. Each victory gives players tribute, special resources or bonus powers.
5. In-depth game experience. Gamers will be able to create a truly strategic game experience by using national borders, flank attacks, spies and generals.
6. Zooming scale. Three levels of zooming scale provide players with a detailed, tactical or strategic overview of their nation.
7. Stunning animations and special effects. The game includes more than 220 unit types, with more than 500 artistically distinct variations based on gender, race and time, ranging from slingers and musketeers to tanks, jets and nuclear missiles.
8. Quick and easy play. Gamers can learn to play with six story-driven tutorials ranging in difficulty from beginning to advanced.
9. Streamlined multiplayer. Up to eight players can be challenged on the Internet or via local area network, including in-game matchmaking.
" PC with 500MHz or higher processor
" Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows Me or Windows XP operating system
" 128 MB of memory
" 800 MB of hard disk space
" CD-ROM drive
" Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device
" 16MB 3-D video card
" Audio card and speakers recommended