Nick Carter will not be charged over allegations he forced singer Melissa Schuman into having sex with him.
Nick Carter will not face charges after being accused of rape.
Melissa Schuman, 33, claimed back in November that the Backstreet Boys star had forced her into having sex with him at his home in 2003, but six months after she filed a police report against him, Los Angeles authorities have confirmed they won't be taking further action because the statute of limitations for prosecution expired in 2013.
And Nick feels vindicated that the charges have been dropped and is ready to move on.
His lawyer, Michael Holtz, said in a statement: ''Nick has denied these allegations ever since he first learned of them last year, and was confident the district attorney would conclude that there was no basis to pursue charges against him.
''He is happy to put this matter behind him.''
Melissa admitted she was ''well aware of the likelihood'' that the case wasn't prosecutable because, though California scrapped its statute of limitations for rape in 2016, they have not made this retroactive but she still obtained ''great solace'' in knowing her account has been documented by authorities and she hopes to encourage others to speak out.
She said: ''It is unfortunate that the law isn't fully retroactive to accommodate assaults that have happened in the past, regardless of how far back.
''It gives me great solace to know that my testimony is fully documented, investigated and sealed for the future if needed by law enforcement. I gave my statement, as did the other witnesses. Speaking out was the best thing I could have ever done for myself and I hope it inspires others to do the same if it feels right for them.''
Previously, Melissa had alleged in a blog post that Nick performed oral sex on her without her consent and then made her perform a reciprocal act on him.
Following that, Melissa - who was a virgin at the time - then claimed that Nick took her to his bedroom and had sex with her without her consent, with her repeatedly telling the pop star that she was saving herself for marriage.
Shortly after her blog post was published, Nick, 38, issued a statement in which he vehemently denied the allegations, and insisted anything that happened between them which was sexual was consensual.
He said: ''I am shocked and saddened by Ms. Schuman's accusations. Melissa never expressed to me while we were together or at any time since that anything we did was not consensual. We went on to record a song and perform together, and I was always respectful and supportive of Melissa both personally and professionally.
''This is the first that I am hearing about these accusations, nearly two decades later. It is contrary to my nature and everything I hold dear to intentionally cause someone discomfort or harm.''
With the Jonas Brothers, Westlife and Backstreet Boys getting back together recently, we should hardly be surprised that New Kids on the Block are...
Our all-time favourite Prodigy songs from their entire back catalogue.
In memory of Keith Flint, we look over at some of his iconic moments caught on camera.
If there was ever a reason for you to try something fresh and new then Poppy Ackroyd is surely it.
The New Zealand musician is a big fan of the Emerald Isle.
An exclusive interview with ambient folk artist Runah.
Are they in love or just incredible actors?
Pablo Honey was released on this day (February 22) in 1993.
Backstreet Boys: Show 'Em What You're Made Of is in cinemas nationwide for one night...