Gambling is one of the most popular, not to mention lucrative pastimes all over the world.
Many people enjoy placing bets and wagering money on their favourite casino games, horse race or sports team, while others take it a step further and place their money on more random, novelty things. Here we take a look and some of the weirdest bets people have placed, some of which surprisingly paid off.
1. Gamblers are known to bet on material things like money and valuables, but betting on your marriage is next level crazy. Andrei Karpov of Russia thought he was smart by betting his wife, Tatiana, one a game of poker against Sergey Brodov. Not only did he lose the game, but once his wife found out about the bet, she promptly divorced him and began a relationship with Brodov. Talk about adding insult to injury.
2. Ashley Revell decided to put everything he owned on the line in an attempt to win big during a roulette game. The TV show was created to follow Revell on his journey, where he went about selling everything he owned to raise around $135 000. He then jetted off to the Plaza Hotel in Las Vegas and put it all on black. At the last minute, Revell dramatically changed to red, which turned out to be the best decision of his life. The ball land on seven red and Revell doubled his money, leaving with $270 600. Revell graciously tipped the dealer $600 and used the money to start his own online poker company.
3. American football is a big deal in the States with some of the most dedicated and passionate fans in the world. Many individuals often get into serious arguments and fights about who the best NFL team is, including married couples. John and Nicole Grant were one such couple - both passionate about the NFL, but while John supports the Chicago Bears, his wife loved the Greenbay Packers. One fateful Monday in 2013 the two teams were set to face, and the couple came up with the idea to place a wager on the game - a common occurrence in competitive sports circles. What made this bet bizarre was that the fan of the losing team would be shocked with a Taser by the other. Suffice it to say, the Packers lost, and Nicole's husband promptly went on to zap his wife three times! As expected, this led to arguments between the pair with John eventually being arrested. Nicole eventually dropped all charges on her husband, as you do.
4. The story of Brian Zembic is probably the most well publicised, and most bizarre to ever come out of the betting world. Zembic, an avid gambler, was challenged by his friend to do something particularly outlandish - he would be paid $100 000 to have breast implants for a full year. Zembic accepted the bet and actually went through with the procedure. His antics led him to become quite a celebrity and even featured in the book "The Man with the $100 000 Breasts and Other Gambling Stories."
5. Frankie Dettori's Magnificent Seven refers to the pint-sized Italian winning all seven of his races at Ascot. This is a massive feat indeed and seemingly impossible to achieve. However, shrewd punters realised that nothing is impossible when it comes to betting, with one man betting on Frankie winning all seven races and earning half a million pounds. Casino Pros has created a great infographic that explains the odds of sportsbetting and how it all works.
Labrinth has teamed up with Sia and Diplo to form a new supergroup: LSD.
The Struts teamed up with Kesha for a red and gold themed music video as part of their collaboration on 'Body Talks'.
Brody Dalle's band dropped their first new music since 2003's 'Coral Fang'.
Sometimes actors are not acting.