Singer/songwriter Martin Sexton is safe following a raging fire which destroyed his New York home on Saturday (27Dec14).

The singer, who primarily lives in Massachusetts, was at the Saranac Lake property to celebrate Christmas with his wife and six-year-old son.

According to local newspaper the Press-Republican, the blaze broke out early on Saturday morning, Sexton woke up and was able to get his family out unharmed.

The local fire department chief tells the publication the blaze most probably started in the chimney.

Sexton also shared the devastating news with his followers on Facebook.com, uploading a video of the house fire, and posting photos of the charred remains.