Rapper MAX B's lawyer is confident his client will be cleared of murder in relation to a botched September 2006 robbery - despite the star's ex-girlfriend implicating him in the crime.
The MC's former lover, Gina Conway, was originally charged with murder, along with two other males, after taking part in robbing David Taylor and Allan 'Jay' Plowden at a New Jersey hotel.
Conway, who had met the two men once before, is accused of telling her then-boyfriend Max B that they both drove sports cars and carried a lot of cash - leading him to reportedly hire another man to steal from them. The attempt ended with Taylor suffering a gunshot wound to the head, and later dying.
Last Tuesday (13Jan09), Conway confessed to her actions, claiming she was at the hotel with associate Kelvin Leerdam, who allegedly fired the shot that killed Taylor.
However, she has struck a plea deal with prosecutors that will see her face lesser charges of manslaughter and armed robbery, and has implicated Max B - real name Charly Wingate - of masterminding the whole robbery.
But the rapper's lawyer, Gerald Saluti, insists authorities cannot rely on Conway's word alone, and maintains his client was not in the state at the time of the robbery. He is convinced Conway will crack and reveal the truth about her accusations when put under pressure in court.
Saluti tells SOHH.com, "Max is allegedly the mastermind behind the robbery and he faces the same time (as) someone who was there and pulled the trigger. They don't even allege that he was there. They are literally going on the speculation of this woman.
"It (Conway's allegation) doesn't hurt his case in the least bit. You're talking about a person facing anywhere from 30 years to life basically attempting to snitch (implicate) against Max and Kelvin Leerdam.
"It is our position that Max B will be completely vindicated after the trial... I relish the opportunity to cross examine Gina Conway."
Max B was previously held behind bars by New Jersey police following the murder and robbery, but he was released in January 2007. He is due to stand trial later this year in Hackensack's Superior Court.