Blink-182 star Mark Hoppus felt like "a giant weight" had been lifted from his shoulders after Tom DeLonge's departure from the band was announced.

On Monday (26Jan15), DeLonge's bandmates announced the guitarist would be taking an "indefinite" leave from the group, but the musician later challenged their version of events and insisted he had not quit.

Hoppus has now spoken to Rollingstone.com in a bid to clarify the dispute, claiming they were informed of his departure in December (14) when DeLonge's manager allegedly wrote in an email, "Tom.Is.Out".

Hoppus says, "To be honest, I wasn't that surprised (by the email) because his (DeLonge's) attitude leading up to that had been not excited and not interested. Even though we'd been talking about recording (a new album) and (tour) dates, things kept getting pushed back. Blink was supposed to start recording two years ago... it felt like a giant weight lifting off my shoulders (when we announced his departure). Finally, people know what the deal is with our band.

"Travis and I and the whole Blink-182 organisation have bent over backwards for years to accommodate all of the stuff that Tom wanted to try... It's been years of pushing back...

"When Tom finally said, 'I'm not going to go into the studio or play this show,' it was kind of a gigantic relief because at least he finally said it. But to then say, 'I didn't quit the band,' it's just not true. It's disingenuous. I just wish Tom does whatever makes him happy and stops holding Blink-182 back from what we all agree that we're going to do: play shows, record music, continue this legacy and have a good time doing it."

DeLonge previously went on an indefinite hiatus in 2005, and the band later regrouped in 2009.