OSCAR winner Marcia Gay Harden has been left heartbroken after the death of her six-year-old nephew in a fire.

An apartment owned by the pregnant actress' former sister-in-law in Queens, New York, went up in flames on Monday (15DEC03) after a candle set a sofa alight.

The owner's six-year-old son was killed in the fire, while her 10-year-old daughter - Harden's niece - is still fighting for her life.

Harden was very close with the two children - she recently took them to the Hollywood premiere of family film BROTHER BEAR.

17/12/2003 09:06