Campaigners In Australia Are Calling For Drug-testing Kits To Be Made Available At Music Events After A Second Ecstasy-related Death Blighted The Stereosonic Festival.
A 19-year-old reveller passed away at a hospital after attending the Adelaide leg of the event on Saturday (05Dec15), days after a 25-year-old woman died following the Sydney show.
Both deaths have been blamed on dance drug ecstasy, and the double tragedy - coupled with 20 drug overdoses at Stereosonic in Brisbane on Sunday (06Dec15) - has prompted calls for pill testing to be available at festivals to minimise the risk of harm.
Independent Australian senator Nick Xenophon says, "We need to ask questions of what the police were doing. Thirty-five pills were confiscated when it appears that this concert was awash with pills. Using these pills seems to be a chemical form of Russian roulette. The other issue is what duty of care do the organisers of this event have."
A spokesman for the Noffs Foundation, which supports youngsters with drug and alcohol problems, took to Twitter.com to write, "Another festival death. This is becoming ridiculous. We can start saving lives today. It's #timetotest."
An online petition calling for drug-testing at Australian festivals has attracted more than 34,000 signatures.
Following the tragedy, Stereosonic bosses posted a statement on Facebook.com over the weekend (05-06Feb15) that read: "We have tragically lost two lives to drugs during our festival and whilst every effort has been made to protect you and keep you safe with our teams of professional medical and security staff, you as individuals need to make smart choices and understand the risks you are taking."