Actress Lindsay Lohan has fired the first legal shots at a Dubai-based party planning company who she accuses of using her name and celebrity status to promote a New Year's Eve party last night (December 31, 2011).
In a cease and desist letter obtained by TMZ.com, the Mean Girls star demands the company stops using her name to promote their celebrations. She claims they are "spreading lies" about her, falsely claiming she is to attend a huge New Year's bash on-board gigantic ocean liner QE2 in the United Arab Emirates. In the letter, Lohan's attorney Stephanie Ovadia says the actress, "will suffer harm and damage" if the company continues to use her name without permission and fool revellers into thinking they'll be mixing with the actress come the evening's celebrations - she has made it clear she will not be partying in Dubai tonight. Her representative had previously told The Wrap, "At no point was Lindsay ever considering going to Dubai for New Year's Eve", adding that Lindsay is not afraid to sue the company should they continue to use her name in collaboration with the lavish bash.
It's been an up-and-down year for Lohan, who suffered the ignominy of being caught stealing a necklace from a Los Angeles jeweller - she later spent time in jail for violating the terms of her probation. However, in recent months the actress has been praised by judge Stephenie Sautner for completing her community service - she also received a reported $1 million to pose nude for Playboy magazine.