British soul star Corinne Bailey Rae's late husband often used drugs during nights out, the singer has told an inquest into his death.
Saxophonist Jason Rae died in a Leeds, England flat in March (08) and an hour-long court session heard on Monday (22Dec08) that his death was caused by alcohol and methadone poisoning.
A post-mortem revealed the 31-year-old drank methadone prescribed to his friend James Sheasby, a former heroin addict, before falling into a deep sleep and never waking.
Rae, whose band Haggis Horns has backed Amy Winehouse and Mark Ronson, also had traces of ecstasy and cocaine in his blood.
The singer, who was not present for the inquest, acknowledged her late spouse's long-standing battle with addiction in a statement.
She says: "It was not unusual for Jason to drink heavily then seek out drugs like cocaine and ecstasy and take it as a part of a night out. He has not to my knowledge tried methadone."
Coroner David Hinchcliff told the inquest there was no evidence Rae had used methadone before, recording a verdict of misadventure.
Bailey Rae also paid tribute to her spouse, branding him her "first and only true love."
She adds: "He was a loyal and devoted friend. He is a faithful son and loving brother. He is very open and honest to a fault. He is not a hedonist, he is a deep thinker. My husband is my first and only true love. He is the most beautiful and complex person I have ever known."