Charlotte Church has settled her phone hacking damages claim against the now defunct News of the World, settling for somewhere between 380k and 500k, reports the Daily Telegraph.
The exact details of the compensation are expected to be made public when she attends a High Court hearing on Monday (February 27, 2012), where News Group Newspapers will apologise for intercepting her voicemails. Charlotte and her parents (who will also be awarded damages after their phones were hacked) had complained that the News of the World had published distressing stories about them originating from voicemail messages. Their case against the newspaper had been set to begin at the High Court on Monday, though their solicitor Mike Brooks said they had "agreed terms" with the newspaper. There are still five other outstanding cases against the News of the World from alleged victims of the hacking scandal, including footballer Ryan Giggs. More than 50 other cases have been settled over the past two months, including that of Jude Law. According to the Guardian newspaper, Mr Justice Vos is still keen to press on with the cases, he said, "I'm extremely keen that the momentum of this litigation should not be lost by the fact that the cases that were set for trial are settled.These cases should be determined quickly."
Church first testified at the Leveson Inquiry in November 2011, discussing how the media intrusion into her private life made her a "caricature", adding, "It's not the person I am, and it's had a massive impact on my career".