The TV host has come under fire for his involvement in the conversation when he was working for Access Hollywood, owned by NBCUniversal, in which he was taped in a hot-mic discussion with the future U.S. Republican presidential nominee.

In a statement published by NBC on Sunday night (09Oct16), senior vice president Noah Oppenheim said that Bush, 44, had been “suspended pending further review” over the incident.

“I know we've all been deeply troubled by the revelations of the past 48 hours. Let me be clear - there is simply no excuse for Billy's language and behaviour on that tape. NBC has decided to suspend Billy, pending further review of this matter.” It is unclear for exactly how long Bush will be suspended.

The tape was made prior to Trump making a cameo appearance in an episode of soap opera Days of Our Lives to promote his show The Apprentice.

In the video, which was recorded several months after he married his third wife Melania Trump, the businessman discussed a failed attempt to seduce TV host Nancy O’Dell who previously worked at Access Hollywood.

He goes on to say "you can do anything" to women "when you're a star" and also brags about trying to grope and kiss women.

Bush then tells Trump, 70, at one point "the Donald has scored" and also comments on a woman's "good legs".

The broadcaster, who is a married father of three and the nephew of former President George H.W. Bush, apologised in a statement issued on Friday evening (07Oct16) after the video surfaced.

“Obviously I'm embarrassed and ashamed,” he explained. “It's no excuse, but this happened 11 years ago - I was younger, less mature, and acted foolishly in playing along. I'm very sorry.”

Meanwhile, top Republicans have condemned Trump for the comments, and he has also since apologised for his behaviour.

“Anyone who knows me knows these words don’t reflect who I am. I said it. I am wrong. I apologise,” he said in a video statement.